Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Fanfiction Requests
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Fanfiction Requests
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 51
Hello everyone!

I have recoded the base of the fanfiction script. Once it's stable and ready to go in it's entirety, probably in a month or so, the site will be upgraded. So, it is time for everyone to make requests.

In the interest of increasing integration and connectedness of the site, user features are going to migrate somewhat to profiles, which are in turn going to be much better connected to the rest of the fanfiction area.

Here are some of the features that are in the works right now:

Improved Search Function
The whole properties and categories section is going to be rewritten as a model-controller combo. Searches will work regardless of how many properties are specified, results will be paginated, and several sort options will be presented.

Improved Editor
The editor will load a copy of the exact same editor used when editing profiles. This means no more brackets, and text pasted from Word, another word processor, or a web page should retain formatting.

Profile Integration
Profile integration will be improved across the board. Wherever a username is, such as on reviews, profiles will be linked. With the new 'Quick Message' tab on profiles, a personal message can be sent just by visiting a user's profile.

Profile Improvement
Right now, the Fanfiction tab on profiles doesn't display story descriptions. The tab improvements will create lists more like the front page has.

Favorite Stories
Favorite stories will have a spot in the slinky menu on the front page. The last ten that have been updated will be listed, alone with the update date, allowing you to check your faves as easily as checking messages. There will be links to view a full list of your favorites, along with a link to favorite authors listed there as well.

Story Toolbar
There will be a toolbar across the top of the story to adjust text size, visit the author's profile, add story to alerts, view/add reviews, print, email, export to PDF, and other story options.

Stats Page
There will be a hidden stats tab on profiles that users can see by visiting their own profile.

If you have any other requests, please list them here.

Logged Logged

Special thanks to the Dokuga Reviewer's Guild for this signature!
You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

The few, the proud, the morally corrupt. - Agent Phisbon3s
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
emmaren
*Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 10
One of the things that I noticed is that on the Home page the fanfics are listed but the number of chapters is not displayed. I think it would be if they were so you can know if the fic is being edited or a new chapter has been posted.

Or the other solution to that would be to have an automatic display with the story that states new chapter or edited. I have no idea how hard it is to formate that, it seems like it would be a simple one line operator.

emmaren

Logged Logged
Kagome357
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 10 Months ago Karma: 0
Cool...

Logged Logged
ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 11
These improvements all sound wonderful. One other request. Do you think it possible that the reviewer's name could be linked back to them, so that when the author wishes to make a comment back, they do not have to leave that immediate menu and go and post a separate comment? They can instead simply click on their name and go from there?

The only other thing I can think of is a means of identifying if the chapter has been updated or edited. It would make it far easier to wade through things and go straight to what you want.

Thank you for listening.

Sounds all wonderfully exciting to me

EP
Cheers

EP

Logged Logged

Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 51
That's definitely going in. Getting profiles connected to other parts of the site is a big goal. I want for there to be a profile link anywhere the system names someone. Having to search separately for the profile is a big, fat waste of time, and we all have better things to be doing!

I think I'll fix the script so it only alters the update date when a chapter is added. The front page is pretty much prime real estate, and I think this would help authors and readers alike by helping connect them with new material as opposed to new material mixed in with edits.

Logged Logged

You're like the hot guy in the club who keeps scratching his crotch - LadyB on why she doesn't click my links

ElegantPaws
*~Daiyoukai~*
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 11

Fantastic, because quite often you see something later and you want to fix it, but it is someone else's turn at bat with their update and you DON'T want to cramp anyone's style, you simply want to make your fix. YES! Definitely if you could alter the code so that just new chapters show up. BRAVISSIMA! I am about to commit the attrocity spoken of. It isn't fair to others. There are four lines missing that I never noticed until now lol.

Thanks Mrs Kagura.

Laters

EP

Logged Logged

swasdiva
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 8
As a random aside, I'm so impressed by the features you already have going and the improvements you have planned. This all takes some serious skill, and your commitment is greatly appreciated and loved considering this is very time consuming and you guys make no $$. Thank you profusely.

Logged Logged

"Tell me a fact and I'll learn. Tell me a truth and I'll believe. But tell me a story and it will live in my heart forever."
Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 51

It's quite fun in a frustrating kind of way. The good news is that the more time I spend on the site, the less time I spend cursing you with my horrible fanfiction. Everybody wins!

Logged Logged

Lady_Mist
Whelp
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 17
I thik it would be nice to be able to right click on a story, and open it in a different tab. I get tired of copying the shortcut, opening a new tab, then pasting it in. I get even more frustrated when I forget to do that and I end up leaving the page I was at, just by clicking on the name of a fic(I know that the rating warning pops up before going over, but sometimes I dont notice it and just click ok..)

If there were anyway to fix that, I would be very appreciative.

Logged Logged

Hairann
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 54
Until that gets fixed Lady Mist, if it's on the list to fix anyways, right-click on the reviews. You can open that in a new tab and click on a link to go straight to the story at the top. Lot easier that trying to copy and paste and all that. Not a complete fix but should make things easier for a while.

Logged Logged

I claimed Tenseiga`s resurrection power!
Mamasama
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 16
Miss Kagura wrote:

It's quite fun in a frustrating kind of way. The good news is that the more time I spend on the site, the less time I spend cursing you with my horrible fanfiction. Everybody wins!

Ah, Miss Kagura! Your fics are AWESOME! In fact, I am reading Atonement right now.

Logged Logged

Amy
Mamasama

Miss Kagura
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 14 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 51
Yeah, sorry.

When a user's stories are removed, they're automatically removed from your favorites so that you don't try to click them and find a broken link.

Logged Logged

Katrina
Inuyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years ago Karma: 5
I do have a request for a interesting new fanfic since I tired searching all over the fanfic websites and just couldn't find the one that I'm searching for....sighs

Logged Logged
Oroyukae
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years ago Karma: 20
Not really sure if this falls in this category but I noticed that some of the works saved in my ' My Favorite Stories ' have disappeared. Is there a limit on how many can be stored there or is it the authors have removed them from Dokuga? Two in particular are : Kinky Boots and The 800 Year Old Virgin. I loved these stories and would reread them on occasion but they are gone. I noticed it a while ago but I got side tracked and forgot to ask until now.

Logged Logged
twiknham
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years ago Karma: 0
Oroyukae,
There is NOT a limit to the number of stories you can store in My Favs (to my knowledge). Stories will disappear if they are removed from the site or if you remove them from your list.

These stories are no longer on the Dokuga site. They may have been removed by the author. Authors remove stories for many reasons. In fact, I've removed one before because the manga wasn't finished, the plot changed thus making the story impossible and I just couldn't stand my inaccuracies. They were good stories and they will be missed.

Logged Logged
Oroyukae
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 15 Years ago Karma: 20
Thank you so much , I was so confused on this. Though I tried to do a search...I am just not that proficient [ ended up heowling and logging off in frustration] . I know, it was childish but we cannot be grown ups all the time...right? Anyhoo, I then decided that we could only have so many....until another one disappeared and I just HAD to know. [ bows in gratitude ] All respects..' O '

Logged Logged
ShakeyShaman
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Is there a place where ideas for stories can be posted?

Logged Logged
MomoDesu
Minister of Silly Walks
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 25
There is a plot bunnies thread here in the forum, actually! It's called Borrowed Muse and you can find it here: dokuga.com/forum?func=view&catid=6&id=12535#12535.

Logged Logged
Smittee
Shikon Miko
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 14 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 31
Mamasama wrote:
Miss Kagura wrote:

Ah, Miss Kagura! Your fics are AWESOME! In fact, I am reading Atonement right now.
I agree! Mokomoko made the Smittee cheer up in some of the supposed sad time. (They are supposed for I forgot why I was upset after reading.)

Smittee is going to say good job, before the task is done, because that's a lot of work. *huggles Miss K* I hope everything works out smoothly.

Logged Logged

www.dokuga.com/images/fbfiles/images/Smittebucket.jpg
I claimed Shippo\'s transforming powers in the claim game.
Tiegrsi
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 1
More of a fanART than fanfic request...but I notice a lot of people draw line art and allow others to color it. I was just wondering if maybe a category could be made just for line-art for others to color? (Not line art that someone does NOT want colored, though.) That way people who love to color in the arts can easily find the ones they like, and the line artists will know their work will be easily found for others to enjoy.

Logged Logged
cakeiton
Shrine Girl
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 13 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 55
Tiegrsi- I REALLY like that idea!! That way it'll be easier for everyone to find instead of hunting through the fanart folder, or sending requests to color on arts that the artist does not colored. Smart thinking!

Logged Logged

Bookluver
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 12 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 0
Yeah, I have a request if it's not too much trouble?Could you show an author's favorite stories and categorize those fave stories according to reads,reviews,etc.As a story reader, it gets really annoying having to look for stories that you're interested in since searching takes a long time.Thank you!

Logged Logged
Nariko
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Okay, so I know that our wonderful code editors are doing what they can to integrate profiles and add more functionality to the site, and yes, I did notice that the messaging system was being improved, but is there anything we can do about responding to reviews? I personally don't know anything about writing code, so I don't know what it would entail, but being able to automatically respond to reviews would be a huge bonus for me. As it stands, I don't send half the thank-you messages that I should because I have to send PMs or post on walls for the reviews, which I find to be a gigantic pain in the hiney.

Can anything be done~?

Logged Logged
WiccanMethuselah
Admin
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 277
So, clicking on the reviewer's name in the review screen, which takes you directly to the reviewer's profile... where you can leave either a quick message or post on their wall... is not working for you?

Usually, I can click once on the reviewer's name and I'm right there, so I can type away with whatever message I wish to share with my reviewers. If that feature isn't working for you, please let us know!

~~Wiccan~~

Logged Logged

\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"The foolish and the dead alone never change their opinion.\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"
- James Russell Lowell 1864

Nariko
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Fanfiction Requests 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Oh no, it works fine, provided that the links to their names work, but I was wondering, if you're going to go to the trouble to make sure all the links to their profiles work right, why not just take it a step further and do automatic reviews? That way you wouldn't even have to go to their profile to say thanks for reviewing or some such thing.

I don't mean to bother >.< Just curious, is all.

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.