Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Emoting Sesshoumaru - It's difficult
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Emoting Sesshoumaru - It's difficult
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Emoting Sesshoumaru - It's difficult 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
It's been really interesting trying out different expressions on Sesshoumaru. I've just started to get into the anime/manga equivalent of changing facial features to express emotion in my art. And I've found Sesshy is incredibly difficult to give emotion too, especially in a piece of artwork.

He just doesn't emote that much, even in reference images from the manga and anime that I've seen. He's either scowling, looking relaxed, or just staring at the screen. I suppose that's part and parcel of his appeal as a character, but it's weird when you actually start playing around with expressions for him.

He only really 'scowls' well.

He looks weird surprised or more like I think it's resigned in my art.

Probably since I have no idea what I'm doing and am just messing around!

Angry Sesshy

Why is he angry?

Cause I can't draw his face properly!

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Aurora Antheia Raine
Daiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Emoting Sesshoumaru - It's difficult 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 24
I probably don't even have any room to say anything since my art abilities are virtually non-existent, but... I think emoting Sesshoumaru would be all in the eyes. His face may be blank, but his eyes could speak an entirely different story. His mouth is just for scowling, snarling, or... kissing... hehehe.

Logged Logged

None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Emoting Sesshoumaru - It's difficult 7 Years, 9 Months ago Karma: 57
Aurora Antheia Raine wrote:
I probably don't even have any room to say anything since my art abilities are virtually non-existent, but... I think emoting Sesshoumaru would be all in the eyes. His face may be blank, but his eyes could speak an entirely different story. His mouth is just for scowling, snarling, or... kissing... hehehe.

Yup,

You're right. I totally agree, since that's what I've found with drawing him, and trying to put expressions on his face. I mean I find it really hard for a character that doesn't really express himself at all. I think Sesshy's probably a classic example of a character that internalises emotions. We know when he's annoyed, peeved, or angry, but not so much when he's feeling sad, unsettled etc like Inuyasha for example.

Inuyasha is expressive, he laughs, cries, shouts, and screams, but he can blushy, and surprised, or thoughtful too.

Drawing him I've found is much easier for emotion.

Sesshy is harder, which probably makes him the better teacher, LOL, in terms of drawing expressions for me. Since outside of him being annoyed or angry I'm starting to have to really think of how to draw him expressing emotion. And I think you're right with the eyes, which makes it even harder since I don't draw in colour. LOL. I'd have to focus on the shape of the eyes, size, and form, and of the eyebrows.

Eyes go wide and eyebrows go up for example when a person is surprised, or narrow and the brows furrow when they're angry. So figuring out how to emote Sesshy this way will be a challenge.

I look forward to it.

Thanks for the advice.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2016/06/25 06:01 By Pyre.
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.