Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Tools of the trade
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Tools of the trade
Amarante
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Tools of the trade 11 Years, 8 Months ago Karma: 0
Hello!

Looking through the wonderful fanart section of the site, I couldn't help but notice the gorgeous quality of artworks and the beautiful colouring accompanying them, most of which are digitally composed.

As a student, money is sparse, so I can't afford photoshop or the like, and so I am using Paint.net. I am finding it relatively easy to use and it seems to work well with my artworks, However, I am trying to branch out and explore different mediums to use, (such as traditional works which I haven't done since I was a child.)

Where, in your opinion, is a good place to start? And What is your preferred drawing media and why?

Thanks in advance,

Aashni.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2012/08/17 00:55 By Aashni.
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Tools of the trade 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 57
I like to sketch with paper and pencil, usually mechanical pencil now since I'm no longer fond of pencil shavings and sharpeners as the actual lead can snap if you don't sharpen it properly.

I use mechanical pencil 0.5 mm lead, I don't press too hard when I sketch, and just refine the lead down by rubbing it on paper so I get a fine point for thinner lines.

I've traditionally left plain sketchs as is but sometimes I have taken the initiative to outline using felt-tip permanent ink markers. Sharpie is the best I've found as the ink is waterproof and won't fade when you erase the pen lines underneath the layer of ink. Bad is that the waterproof ink pens tend to blot if you press too hard and you can get 'dots' in your outlines.

I usually tidy these up in photoshop so that's okay.

I'm not a fan of water-soluble ink pens, felt or plastic tips, as the ink tends to fade if you erase the pencil lines underneath, something that the permanent waterproof inks don't do.

The blotting is the same sometimes as the permanent inks too which is a pain. I have recently tried fountain pens with a fine nib to ink outlines and I prefer it. The ink doesn't blot, the nib is tough enough to press on without bending, and it gives a nice variation in lines.

The bad is that you really need to have a steady hand when you ink because if your pen slips you'll regret it. The ink I have is permanent and doesn't clog the nib, so beware of shellac-based inks.

The irony is that fountain pens thirty years ago were common place, and I've found that now they're a speciality item that's virtually difficult to find. Yes most craft shops have the standard paints but you really need to look around for decent fountain pens >.>, otherwise they're pretty much an eccentric gift thing.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Morrigan
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Tools of the trade 11 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 1
Okay, I'm more of a photo manipulator, but I'm getting into other forms of digital art. In either case however, my main graphics program will be GIMP, which is a freeware, and less advanced vision of Photoshop essentially.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Tools of the trade 10 Years ago Karma: 57
I should have added this ages ago. Great tip is that if you work with pencil like HB or some such a great addition to your art arsenal is an eraser pen. Yes it's a pen that uses an eraser stick as the lead inside similar to a mechanical pencil.

The model I use is this one for my pencil drawings: Uni Auto-Eraser Pen

It's brilliant for working on paper and erasing those smaller more intricate details. You will have to buy refills for it which can be hard to find if you don't buy them from the same place you buy the pen. I have four refill packs with about 11 eraser refills left.

So mine will last a very long time.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.