Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Writing App that blocks all distractions
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom Favoured: 1
TOPIC: Writing App that blocks all distractions
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Writing App that blocks all distractions 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 156
So this post was going around tumblr, my friend brought it to my attention. It's a review/recommendation of an application called Writer's Block, that's designed to cut you off from any distractions your computer might offer.

The program that opens full screen when you run it, and gives you an option to start a new draft or continue an existing one, and then you can set how many minutes or how many words you want to write. You cannot quit the program until that time/wordcount is fulfilled.
After you reach your goal, you have the option to either snooze the app for 10 more minutes or save your draft as a text file and quit the program.

I tried it myself quite quickly this morning and I found it to be a convenient application. I really believe it'll be a helpful tool for me, so I figured other people might be interested in it too. There is a free version for Windows and Mac, and a Pro version for $10 that has some additional features.

Here are some screenshots I took: Start Screen 1, Startscreen 2, Finishing up.

So if you're anything like me and your concentration suffers from potential distractions, maybe this could be of help.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Writing App that blocks all distractions 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 57
Aw man!

This would totally have helped me when I was writing my reports for Uni.

LOL!

It's hard not to procrastinate when you have assignments.

Anything is better than thinking in tech-jargon.

Ouch.

Nice one.

Thanks for the intro Chie.

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
Chie
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Writing App that blocks all distractions 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 156
No problem. I'm way too apt at procrastination myself, and I'm sure this program can help with school assignments the same as with fic writing.

Also just to add -- I took another test spin a moment ago and found out that my winamp worked normally even with this program on, so in case you're used to writing with background music, that may be possible.

Logged Logged
None
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:Writing App that blocks all distractions 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 57
Chie wrote:
No problem. I'm way too apt at procrastination myself, and I'm sure this program can help with school assignments the same as with fic writing.

Also just to add -- I took another test spin a moment ago and found out that my winamp worked normally even with this program on, so in case you're used to writing with background music, that may be possible.

How did you know my guilty pleasure?

LOL!

Well that's good!

Now I can write and rock at the same time!

Woot!

~ Pyre

Logged Logged
TamashaToko
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Writing App that blocks all distractions 8 Years, 1 Month ago Karma: 7
My new netbook is always switching between my google doc and some random newspaper app or whatever app I had pulled up last, so maybe this could be the cure... also Skype notifications can get quite annoying when do not disturb doesn't work

(also it'd be nice if it could help me actually finish a fanfic for once in my life)

Logged Logged
Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.