Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
Books for neey kids charity?
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: Books for neey kids charity?
Eien-no-Melody
Pup
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
Books for neey kids charity? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
We had a garage sell and NO one bought any of our mountains of books. Goodwill won't take anymore book, and it's useless to take hundreds of book to half price books and only get like $10. And I really don't want to just leave them out for the garbage truck. Maybe some will go to the library. Maybe.

So does anyone know of organizations that takes in books to give to needy kids? The only ones I can find want new books but we don't have that. Or any charities that just want "stuff" in general besides Goodwill?

Logged Logged

The administrator has disabled public write access.
tenchi no mai
Taiyoukai
graphgraph
Re:Books for needy kids charity? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 60
You may want to check with your local school district. They are often looking for books for the school libraries, especially with the tightened budgets. Or you may want to check with a local womens shelter. They are almost always looking for items, especially childrens books that would help keep the little ones occupied. Another option would be Catholic Charities, the one in our area is grateul for donations. The county library here has book sales twice a year and is always looking for donations. OH, and one of our local churches also has book sales several times a year and is also always happy to recieve donations. You may also want to check with your local hospitals, they often are looking or books for patients to read. Or, if they are mostly geared towards adults, not x-rated, your local VA hospital may be interested.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2011/04/09 17:03 By tenchi no mai.

Save the Earth...it\\\'s the only planet with chocolate! (Seen on a bumpersticker)
Eien-no-Melody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Books for needy kids charity? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
Thanks tenchi no mai! Those are a lot of places I hadn't thought about. Most of the books we're trying to get rid of are for kids between the ages of 1 to 10 and we even have some school and learning books within that age spread.

Logged Logged

FlameTwirler
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Books for neey kids charity? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 0
There are tons of places where you can donate books.

Public city libraries are one of the easiest: anything they don't want they sell to raise money for the facility. That's what I typically do. (Either that or I post them up on paperbackswap.com and trade 'em for books I do want...)

There are also things like booksforafrica.org. I have friends who have worked with libraries in Africa and they are always desperately short of books.

www.albany.edu/~dlafonde/Global/bookdonation.htm has a list compiled of some drop off locations, but since I have no idea where you're from I'm not sure if this is of any use.

or gotbooks.com - they'll even pick up the books, but again it's location, location, location.

Basically you can just punch 'book donation' into google, along with where you live, and you'll get plenty of hits.

Logged Logged
Eien-no-Melody
Pup
graphgraph
Re:Books for neey kids charity? 12 Years, 11 Months ago Karma: 3
Thank you FlameTwirler! We should have no problems getting rid of these books now.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.