Dokuga Forum
Welcome, Guest
Please Login or Register.    Lost Password?
mayday! mayday!
(1 viewing) 1 Guest
Go to bottom
TOPIC: mayday! mayday!
knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
User Offline Click here to see the profile of this user
mayday! mayday! 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 78
Okay, so I write my stories on a laptop at work, put my latest writing on a disk, cart it back home and load it into my desktop and then load it onto Dokuga. Or at least, that's the way it's supposed to work. But when I try to take it off the disk and put it in My Documents on the desktop, it claims to be a "read only" file. I made sure the setting on the desktop was not changing everything to a "read only" file. I tried to do the same on the laptop, which is slightly newer, and cannot find anywhere to check that. For a while, I was changing the file to RTF (Rich Text Format), and it seemed to go. Lately, however, I put my writing into Rich Text Format, and the computer still claims it is a "read only" file. How do I stop either or both computers from making this into a read only file? The only program I have to write in the laptop is Microsoft Works Word Processor... Is there any brilliant person out there who has any idea what is up with this "READ ONLY FILE" THING? If so, I'd sure appreciate the help.

Logged Logged
  The administrator has disabled public write access.
Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:mayday! mayday! 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
do you use a pc or a mac?

I've had something like that happened to me before.

Also there could be two things wrong;

*this is for pc, I use both, so if you use a mac, let me know, it's different, lol*

Either your computer as the read-only attribute set in the properties (right-click "my computer" and go to properties).

Or, it's a an open issue, meaning your computer opens a normal file as a read-only mode. Which, I'm not sure what you should except always open it manually like this; When it's on your desktop try right clicking it, choose properties and uncheck the "read only" box.

Hope it helps a tiny bit.

Logged Logged

Last Edit: 2010/02/19 17:34 By xMaddiex.

knifethrower
Supporter
graphgraph
Re:mayday! mayday! 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 78
Both computers are pcs, so this gives me a place to start. Actually, I did find this capability under "properties" on the desktop, and made sure "read only" was not selected, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the newer laptop. I will dig around some more. I will also experiment with your second idea, and see if that gets me anywhere. I really appreciate your advice, it is hard to have gone through so much technological change in my lifetime. I learned how to type on manual typewriters, and do accounting in ledger books with carbon paper inserts! Since I now know how to do it, karma to you, and kudos too! knife

Logged Logged
Madison
Time Traveler
graphgraph
Re:mayday! mayday! 14 Years, 7 Months ago Karma: 29
Glad I could help a little!

Well, what version is the laptop? Because that option on desktop is in XP, I know it's a a different place for vista, & 7.

Logged Logged

Go to top

INUYASHA © Rumiko Takahashi/Shogakukan • Yomiuri TV • Sunrise 2000
No money is being made from the creation or viewing of content on this site, which is strictly for personal, non-commercial use, in accordance with the copyright.